Montauk is much more than just a summer resort town. There is so much to enjoy year round. There may not be much going on in Winter but that might be just what you need! This guide will help you with the best things to do in Montauk in the Winter, Fall and Spring as well as which restaurants and hotels are open.
Montauk in the Winter
There is something special about Montauk in the Winter. It is quiet, very quiet, but that is what makes it appealing. After the busy holiday season all you need is a quiet weekend away. Many restaurants have closed for the season and the majority of stores on Main Street are closed. However, there are still plenty of things to do in Montauk in the Winter!
Best Things to do in Montauk in the Winter
There is not much going on in Montauk in the Winter – but that is the beauty of it! Below are some ideas of things to do in Montauk in the Winter.
- Spend a few hours at the fire pits at Gurney’s
- Get a massage or facial at Deborah Thompson Day Spa
- Taste test beer at Montauk Brewing Company
- Take a walk or hike if it’s not too cold out. (click here for the 8 best hikes in Montauk)
Things to do near Montauk
Other towns nearby, think Amagansett, East Hampton, Sag Harbor and Bridgehampton, all have a more year-round businesses. Take a day trip to any of these neighboring towns to shop, eat or drink! Some of my favorites listed below!
- Taste local wine at Wolffer Estate
- Sit by the fire at Barons Cove
- Eat a really good donut at Grindstone
- Discover a new book to read at Book Hampton
- Have a few beers and pub food at Rowdy Hall
- Share pizza and a bottle of wine at Sam’s Pizza
- Take a yoga class at Mandala Yoga
- Listen to live music at Stephen Talkhouse
Montauk Restaurants Open in the Winter
- Scarpetta – fine Italian dinning at Gurney’s overlooking the ocean
- TT’s – turns into burgers, wings, sandwiches and mac and cheese in the winter!
- Shagwong – tavern with pub food
- The Harvest – amazing family style food. *closed in January
- Inlet Seafood – seafood, sushi and classic American favorites. *opens Valentines Day
- Circle Burger – burgers and salads!
Montauk in the Spring
It is starting to warm up and summer is on the horizon! Spring weather in Montauk usually lasts from April-June. However, Memorial Day Weekend marks the start of the Summer season in Montauk. So, if you’re after shoulder season vibes and hotel prices I recommend visiting Montauk before May 15th.
Best Things to do in Montauk in the Spring
Businesses in Montauk usually start to re-open in April and May. What is open varies from week to week. Listed below are some of the things to do in Montauk in the Spring that I recommend.
- Go on a Hike – the Seal Haul trail is one of my favorites this time of year.
- Go Fishing on the Viking Fleet.
- Hang out at the Hotel pool (depends on the month and day!)
- Grab a pint of beer at Montauk Brewing Company
- Visit the Montauk Lighthouse and walk around Camp Hero State Park.
Montauk Restaurants Open in the Spring
Just after the St. Patrick’s Day parade in Montauk, restaurants start to open their doors back up. This is a really exciting time for any locals that made it through the winter! Below are Montauk restaurants that open in the Spring.
- The Dock – my personal favorite. Seafood and pub food done right.
- 668 The Gig Shack – all around great food!
- Primavera Pizza – my favorite option for take out dinners or when you are just feeling like a slice of pizza.
- The Harvest – always a good idea!
- Inlet Seafood – amazing entrees and sushi.
Montauk in the Fall
If you’ve planned your trip to Montauk in September – you are in for a treat! September is Montauk’s (not so) best kept secret. The weather is still beautiful and the ocean still warm. October and November are also lovely when Fall starts to really set in.
Best Things to do in Montauk in the Fall
There are plenty of beach days to be had in September – without the summer crowds! For the best beaches in Montauk check out this blog post. The best part about Fall in Montauk is that everything (for the most part) is still open but there are far less crowds.
- Drink pumpkin beer at Montauk Brewery
- Visit the Montauk Lighthouse and watch the surfers
- Surf or watch the surfers. Montauk gets hurricane swells in the Fall.
- Surf cast right off the beach
- Go on a fishing charter.
- Take a beach walk or hike one of these 8 trails.
Things to do near Montauk
- Happy Hour Sunset at Wolffer Wine Stand
- Shop around Sag Harbor Town
- Have lunch in the Amagansett Square or take a yoga class
Montauk Restaurants Open in the Fall
The good new is most restaurants are open through September in Montauk! The more “posh” places start to close at the end of the month. Think: Surf Lodge, Navy Beach, Duryea’s and the Crow’s Nest.
The below restaurants are some of my favorites and are open for the majority of the Fall in Montauk.
- The Harvest – so beautiful in the garden if you can get a table outsite!
- Inlet Seafood – some of the best sunsets.
- The Dock – layed back vibes and great food.
- Westlake Fish House – amazing sushi and great entrees
- Scarpetta – perfect for a special night and homemade pasta.
- Shagwong – great place to watch a game and get a bite of food.
- TT’s – tacos and tequila!
- Best Pizza – amazing pizza and perfect place to watch football
Where to Stay in Montauk in the Off Season
So now you know the best things to do in Montauk in the Winter, Spring and Fall but where do you stay? Not all hotels in Montauk are open year round. Below are my most recommended hotels to stay at in the off season. Check the asterisk at the end of each listing – some hotels are closed in the middle of the winter.
Did you know: when you book a stay from any of the links on TRVL Collective, I earn a small commission which helps keep this blog running and at no additional cost to you!
Thank you for supporting!
- Gurney’s Resort *usually closes for a few weeks in March
- Daunt’s Albatross *year-round
- Hero Beach Club *closes right after New Years Day & re-opens in Spring
- Sole East *Fall & Spring only
- The Breakers *Fall & Spring only
- Marram *Fall & Spring only
Want to stay on the beach in Montauk? Click here to read my Favorite Montauk Hotels on the Beach!
- For how to get to Montauk – click here.
- Montauk is VERY quiet in the Winter with the exception of holiday weekends.
- It can Snow in the Winter months – which makes for a really beautiful sight at the beach.
- Montauk has a very late Spring. Trees do not fully bloom until the end of May!
- Fall in Montauk is typically very comfortable weather but can be windy.
Planning a vacation to Montauk in the Summer? Free Downloadable Guide below!
Leave a Comment OR Question Below!
I’d love to respond to your questions or know if you used this blog post to help plan your trip!